The human brain has developed a hugely efficient way of getting us through life, but its management style means that we are often unaware of why we act the way we do.
In this feature, we reveal the secret decision-making systems controlling our daily lives – and how marketers can adapt strategies and tactics to enlist the latest insights from neuroscience:
- How our System 1 brain uses simple heuristics to navigate life using our mental resources as efficiently as possible
- The role of our System 2 brain in setting priorities and seeking to explain our behaviour
- The need for research to adapt its techniques according to which brain is in control
- The brain chemistry behind the heuristics, cognitive biases and affective memories that govern our actions
- The strategies that brands can adopt to plug directly into System 1.