Informing social policy and the political process
The needs of citizens are changing rapidly. Government policies and social programmes need to respond to these changing needs. And in an age of economic uncertainty there is increased pressure for accountability of expenditure – on governments, political parties and NGOs.
Robust, innovative research is needed to guide the development of policies and political strategies, and to evaluate their effectiveness and return on investment.
TNS has the leading political and social research unit in the world. With over 500 dedicated social researchers in more than 40 countries, TNS Political & Social is uniquely placed to conduct research on any social issue, in any environment.
We assist decision makers in a wide range of policy areas: health, education, social services, environment, labour market, family policy, public transport, road safety, justice, community integration - to name a few.
We provide political parties with strategic advice during elections and conduct social polling in many countries around the world.
Explore our specialist expertise below
- Large, complex social surveys
TNS Political & Social are industry leaders in designing, conducting and managing complex social surveys. We have developed expertise in a wide range of social policy issues such as education, health, social services, environment, employment, parenting and child protection, public transport, justice, immigration and community integration.
Our world-best methodology experts deliver robust designs to measure the most complex social issues. Our quality control processes ensure accurate data to inform government policies and decision making.
We employ the full range of data collection techniques – face-to-face, online, telephone (fixed and mobile) to access often difficult to reach segments of the population.
- Behaviour change and social marketing
The aim of much government policy and many NGO programs is to change peoples’ behaviour. There is increasing recognition that to achieve success we need to understand as much as we can about how to influence human behaviour, and apply that to the design of policies and programs.
For this purpose, TNS Political & Social established the Behaviour Change Institute – comprising senior TNS researchers and leading international academics. The Institute has applied the latest thinking in the behavioural sciences and behavioural economics to develop an industry-leading Framework to guide our research in this area.
The TNS Behaviour Change Framework offers the following advantages:
- Simple and pragmatic – easy to understand and apply, works in the real world
- Robust – solidly grounded in the very latest thinking in behavioural theory and behavioural economics
- Comprehensive – the TNS Behaviour Web ensures that nothing is missed, and that the research process ‘covers all bases’
National governments and major NGOs around the world use the TNS Behaviour Change Framework to help them plan, implement, and evaluate behaviour change and social marketing programs.
For more information please contact Mark Francas.
- Programme evaluation and stakeholder management
Economic uncertainty is putting increased pressure on budgets for governments and NGOs. This in turn means a greater focus on accountability of expenditure and an increasing need to demonstrate return on investment.
TNS offers specialised expertise in programme evaluation – in a variety of environments ranging from government service programs in developed countries to donor programs in the developing world.
We use pragmatic approaches (combining qualitative and quantitative techniques) to evaluate the effectiveness, sustainability and community impact of social programs worldwide. Our specific services include:
- Development of evaluation frameworks
- Cost benefit and cost effectiveness analysis
- Econometric modeling
- Impact assessment
We also use TRI*M - a world-best monitoring tool with international benchmarking capability - to measure service quality, customer retention, program effectiveness, and organisational reputation.
- Social media analytics
With the emergence of personal blogs and social networks like Facebook or Twitter, the Web 2.0 is now turning into a vast interactive platform where people discuss, comment or share pieces of information and are creating, to a certain degree a new Agora. For public decision makers, the understanding of what is being shared and said spontaneously about their policies, programs or behaviours is a must if one wants to anticipate potential crises and/or prepare specific communication strategies.
Understanding the importance of such content, TNS has developed a dedicated social media analytics offer entirely designed to fit our clients’ needs and take into account their specific political and social environment. Our P&S digital framework includes:
- Real-time analysis of social media content (e.g. during TV appearances, speeches…)
- Tracking online reputation
- Triangulation of various sources of data (social media, polling and macro data)
- Mapping the social web including the identification of specific topics and communities
- Pre and post-tests of arguments amongst targeted online communities (influencers, interested people…)
For more information, please contact Leendert de Voogd.
- Political and social polling
Our political teams have an unmatched record of accurate polling and voting intentions results in many countries including Germany, France, Spain, UK, Netherlands, Norway, Korea, Indonesia – to name a few. Evaluating the potential of certain candidates or political parties, organising election nights and delivering accurate estimates of real votes cast are areas in which TNS leads the market.
Our strategic advice to political organisations across the globe is based on our extensive knowledge of the electoral cycle and the role of traditional and new media in that process. For instance, TNS was the preferred partner to assist the European Parliament during the last two European Elections.
Last but not least, we measure and analyse on a daily basis around the world the pulse of public opinion on key topical issues for media partners or research organisations. Our data inform major media organisations and deliver unique insights to political leaders.
Our services in Political and Social polling include:
- Optimization of positioning in the political landscape
- Insight in voting behaviours/patterns
- Reputation management for political Institutions
- Delivery of voting estimates during election nights
- International research
TNS specialises in managing complex multi-country Political and Social surveys, making optimum use of the unique capabilities of the wider TNS global network. We are helping the European Institutions, the World Bank and many international NGOs. Our 500+ dedicated political and social researchers working across the globe enable us to better understand complex multinational and multicultural contexts.
One of our teams, TNS opinion, has 40 years' experience in coordination of international research. This company is 100% focused on this expertise, which makes it unique in the research industry. With in-house translation management teams covering up to 80 different languages, cutting edge coordination tools and centralized quality control processes, TNS delivers to its clients the most compelling offer when it comes to international research.
In fact, TNS is proud to hold the largest political & social research contracts in the world:
- The Standard Eurobarometer (CAPI surveys) contract conducted since 2004 for the European Commission and the European Parliament (regarded as the most important face-to-face opinion survey in the world).
- The Flash Eurobarometer surveys (CATI surveys) on behalf of the European Commission and the European Parliament. This framework contract is composed of mainly telephone surveys (landlines and mobile phones) covering both the general public and a wide range of specific target groups.
- The Eurobarometer Qualitative studies contract jointly managed by the European Commission and the European Parliament. This contract involves a variety of cutting-edge qualitative techniques and desk research methods implemented across more than 35 countries.
For more information about the Eurobarometer and the latest releases please go to the EC website: http://ec.europa.eu/public_opinion/index_en.htm
For more information about our P&S International research capacities, please contact Pascal Chelala.